Junkfood Science: Another lovely example of body acceptance and food sanity

December 02, 2006

Another lovely example of body acceptance and food sanity

It’s rare to encounter people in the food business anymore who are unapologetic about loving to eat and who are comfortable with food and their bodies. Most intersperse every other sentence with tiresome little twitters about a food being sinful or fattening, and admonitions to only allow yourself a few bites. Or worse, they are absorbed with low-fat, “healthy” dishes as if eating is only about supplying the proper milligrams of vitamins and protein and one dare not enjoy it.

As The Sun reported on Saturday, Nigella Lawson loves to eat and “is a breath of fresh air when talking about her figure.”

"I’ve never met a doughnut I didn’t like, [my favourite] is sugar on the outside, jam in the middle.We’re all worrying endlessly, it’s relaxing to think I don’t have to fight the fight any more, life is so much rosier."


A new three-part series on BBC2 - called Nigella’s Christmas Kitchen - will explore the pleasures of festive eating. She said: “There’s nothing I hate more than people who think they’re too chic for Christmas. You’ve got to have turkey, the best ingredients for stuffing are bacon, onions, apples, eggs... and ginger cake.”

She is happy with her full figure. In an earlier article she said she vowed never again to go on a diet after her mother’s admission shortly before dying of cancer.

My mother was tortured by her weight. When she was dying she said: ‘It’s the first time I haven’t worried about what I’m eating.’ You’ve got to think how warped it is to feel released from dieting because you have a terminal illness.


When I had a daughter, I vowed I would never say ‘I hate myself, I’m fat’ in front of her because I didn’t want to pass it on.


You can’t live on 1,000 calories a day and be happy. Now diets are all saying ‘This isn’t a diet, this is a way of life, forever.’ Well, that makes me want to throw myself out of the window.


Now I don't know what I weigh. I don’t want to be totally consumed by that world.

Bookmark and Share